Posts for tag: Dental Crowns
Have you recently damaged a tooth or felt a nagging toothache? If so, dental crowns from the Winchester, KY, office of your family dentist, Dr. Tena Powe, could be the answer to boosting your oral health. Read on to learn more!
What are dental crowns?
Crowns are cap-like oral appliances made of porcelain that are placed over teeth for a variety of reasons, including to hide unappealing features and reinforce weakened structure.
When are dental crowns used?
Over time, it's natural for teeth to become stained or yellowed because of certain foods, beverages, medication, and/or age. Crowns are a great solution if you want to hide these stains and improve the look of your smile.
Crowns are also used to help heal teeth that have been chipped, cracked, or fractured. Applying a crown to the compromised tooth reinforces the structure and prevents further damage from taking place.
If you have a loose filling, crowns will prevent the filling from completely dislodging. Crowns will also protect teeth that have undergone extensive procedures like dental implants and root canal therapy.
How are crowns made?
The entire procedure takes about two to three visits to your family dentist in order to complete. The process consists of:
- Your Winchester dentist first examines your teeth to determine if dental crowns are the best course of treatment.
- Next, he'll numb the surrounding area before the procedure, and shape your tooth in a uniform shape to fit under the crown.
- If the tooth needs to be built up, filling material is used to help support the crown.
- Dental impressions are taken and sent to a lab where a crown is made.
- A temporary crown is placed while the lab works on its permanent counterpart.
- Once the crown is completed, the dentist will cement the piece on top of your natural tooth, dry the resin using a special curing light, and then your new tooth will be complete!
Who should you consult?
If you have any questions about crowns, make sure you reach out to your family dentist, Dr. Tena Powe, at her Winchester, KY, office by calling (859) 744-0320 today!